Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Krista Anderson-Larson, Artist and Director at Circa Gallery



Hello everyone! This is Jackson and welcome to the 21st interview for my blog, 3 Art Questions With Jackson. This time I interviewed Krista Anderson-Larson. She is a great artist and is now Director at Circa Gallery, with a new location in northeast Minneapolis! I really think Krista's answers to my questions are insightful and I think you will too. I hope you enjoy the interview! Thank you for reading!



Jackson: How did you first become interested in art? Did something specific happen?



Krista: Art has always been part of my life—my dad is a graphic designer and a great drawer, so he always encouraged creative endeavors and took me on trips to the Art Institute of Chicago. Funnily enough, I ended up not taking any art classes until my senior year of high school and up until that point I wanted to be an accountant. During senior year I changed my mind and decided to pursue an art major in college instead. It wasn't until the end of my first year of college that I realized being an artist is an actual career goal you can have and the professors at Bethel University (also where my dad got his degree in art) were amazing at preparing students for a career in the arts.



Jackson: How do you get the ideas for your art? I like how you work in so many different styles.  


Krista: One of the reasons I chose to focus on working in sculpture is that there is really no limit to the materials you can work with. I like to keep my options open. At any given time I have a variety of different media and styles going on in my studio; I think that everything feeds into each other and helps to produce the end product. My finished sculptures are quite minimal, but are anything but that during the creative process. Currently I have a few large sculptures in progress for my Minnesota State Arts Board Artist Initiative Grant in the studio, but alongside a couple abstract oil paintings and charcoal figure drawings! These other endeavors are more "for fun" to keep creativity flowing even if I'm too exhausted to work on the sculptures, which take a lot of physical energy.



Jackson: What has it been like taking over as Director at Circa Galley? You must be very busy.


Krista: It has been overwhelming but so so great. An amazing opportunity that has pushed and stretched me in many ways, but is also a great learning experience. I love being able to love my "day job" too—not something that all artists can say. It's really rewarding to be able to work with, and encourage the development of, other artists' careers through the administrative side of the arts. I love it.






No comments:

Post a Comment