Friday, May 7, 2021

Darrell Hagan, Artist and Curator at Gallery 427


 


Hello and welcome to the 34th interview for my blog 3 Art Questions With Jackson! This time I interviewed Minneapolis based artist and curator Darrell Hagan. He is an amazing painter and a curator who is nice enough to give opportunities to an artist like me who is just starting out. I thought his answers were very relatable and I think you will too. Thank you for reading and be sure to check out Darrell's social media sites listed right after the interview!



Jackson: What inspired you to begin making art? How old were you when you realized you wanted to be an artist?


Darrell: I don't recall ever consciously deciding to be an artist. I think it isn't something you choose to do, I think it is just something you are. I have for as long as I can remember always drawn or painted. As a child I thought art must be something everyone does. It took a while to realize that wasn't always the case.



Jackson: Has the pandemic changed the way you make art or how often you make art? Have you lost any opportunities?


Darrell: I have never created as much work as I have during the pandemic. Not being able to do much else has made me concentrate more on my work. I think it actually made me better at my craft. 

I mainly sell my work in my gallery space in the Northrup King building. Not being able to open and have the large events like Art-A-Whirl and Art Attack have definitely hurt my sales.



Jackson: If you could meet any artist living or dead, who would it be and why?


Darrell: I would have to say Rene' Margritte. It would be fun to hear about how his work comes together. I have always been a huge fan of his paintings because of their surreal nature and humor. I'm sure he would have been an interesting person to talk to.


www.gallery427.com
www.facebook.com/427art
Instagram: @darrellhagan 






No comments:

Post a Comment