Friday, January 27, 2023

Maria Orozco, Artist

 



Hello and welcome to the 51st 3 Art Questions With Jackson interview! This time I interviewed Mexico based artist Maria Orozco. I discovered her art on Instagram and I love how unique it is and I especially like the clean lines and edges, and through this interview I discovered that we both admire Carmen Herrera. It is always interesting for me to interview artists from other countries to get a different perspective. I found Maria's answers super interesting and I think you will too! Thank you for reading! (Instagram: @mariaarte0 Website: www.mariaarte.com / All images courtesy of the artist)   




Jackson: Do you feel like you were born to be a visual artist? Or did you have an experience that made you want to be an artist?


Maria: I consider that when you are a child there is no total conception of the profession that you want to adopt when you grow up, however when you are a child you develop skills that lead you to what you like. In my case my father was an architect and he liked to paint, which caused my interest in painting since I was a child, thanks to my father my approach to the plastic arts and architecture was there since I was a child.





Jackson: I really like your style. Do you feel like your art is influenced by what you see around you or are there other factors?


Maria: Thanks! Everything is always influenced, nobody invents the black thread. In my pictorial exercise I retake the conformation of geometric compositions as a reference to the forms and conception of Constructivism and Brutalism, from its historical booms to the traces that in the present maintain the impact of its origins. Provoking an exercise of plastic interpretation of the forms, the space and the emptiness with which I compose on the canvases, forms that can be appreciated from the juxtaposition of elements and their sizes, to the detail of influences of Hard Edge painting. 

Painting is the constant means of my process to combine the conceptual and transversal interests of my professional knowledge and curiosity to find new ways of self-interpretation.     





Jackson: If you could meet any artist living or dead, who would it be and why?


Maria: I would love to meet several artists but if we are being specific this would be my top 5:

1. Inge Dick
2. Auguste Herbin
3. Theo van Doesburg
4. Carmen Herrera
5. Le Corbusier

I admire the work of each of them, I consider it super interesting how they projected themselves creatively in their respective times and countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment